Thursday, June 28, 2012

"Living Without" an Amazing Magazine, and So Much More!

Living Without is a wonderful magazine for people with allergies and food sensitivities that provides information in many areas: recipes, health, resources, ect..  I have my magazines as a permanent part of my 'master binder."   I can honestly say, I read/ use something from this publication every day!

I came across this Gem while at the check-out register at my home away from home, Sprouts Farmers Market (Amazon.com has a far better price!).   This is a resources I wish I had from the beginning of my allergy journey with my girls!  I know you will find countless treasures in Every Single Issue!!!  Their website is:  http://www.livingwithout.com/



It is amazing how resources like this not only give you advice, but make you feel less alone and help you cope with the struggles that come up on a daily basis when dealing with severe allergies (especially in your children).

I remember my first official "allergy breakdown" well.  Although my older daughter's health issues began when she was about 4 weeks old, the "road to the allergis"t seemed like a long one.  I will never forget the first day of allergy testing. Our 3rd child, not yet 2 years old,  had her first  panel of "scratch testing" done.  If that is not traumatic enough (for you and the child), they have you come back over the next few days to measure the reaction sites.

By the end of the series of tests and reactions,  my child was swelling before my eyes.  She tested positive for almost everything!   They gave me a list of prescriptions,  a 3-4 page print out of basic info, and the web address to FAAN ( Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network).

My little one was crying and swollen beyond belief.  I somehow managed to not breakdown until she was safely buckled behind me listening to her favorite c.d., heading for home in the family mini-van. My first stop had to be the market to drop off her perscriptions.  Next, I  attempted to find something for her to eat as we'd missed breakfast & lunch stuck at the doctor's office. 

While standing in line, several people lined up behind us. One women behind us was with her friend who was pregnant.  "Woman A" (as I will call her for lack of profanity) saw my daughter, red and swollen (already completly tramatized!) and instantly  proceeded to make the single greatest scene I have ever had directed toward me.

She loudly proclaimed,  "How could you (pointing at me as dramatically as possible) have no regard for others, by bringing an obviously "Infected" and "Contagious" child out in public!  She drug her pregnant friend down the isle opposite us, still yelling at me, at a level that would ensure everyone withing a city block would hear.  As if my baby (and I) had not been through enough that day!!

This was only the first of ignorant comments I have heard from people who don't know my children's medical conditions and the trials and tribulations we go through just to function safely in public.  It is nice to know that there are others out there who face the same struggles and share advice and information to make the road a little easier to travel.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless."
 Mother Theresa

No comments:

Post a Comment