Saturday, June 30, 2012

Mineral Makeup for Sensitive Skin

If you have skin sensitivities, finding the right makeup is a challenge.  I have always had sensitive skin, and now, pre-menopause has made it even more so (rosacea).  Its like the dog chasing it's tail.  I put on make-up to cover the redness, then the make-up irritates my skin making it worse!

After hours and hours of research, I found that mineral makeup is the best choice for me!
This is why:
  • Most provide SPF protection.
  • Some ingredients actually soothe the skin, rather than irritate it.
  • It does not clog pores.
Choosing the right mineral make-up was the next challenge.  I love Bare Escentuals, but it can be costly (Amazon has decent prices).  In looking at alternative brands, I found that ingredient lists vary.  Some less expensive alternatives contain ingredients that could cause problems for people with sensitivities.  Dangers of certain ingredients are debateable.  Most are safe because cosmetic-grade ingredients are used.  However, some of these have been known to cause irritation for some people.  I would think it would be better to avoid as many of those as possible.  Check the labels, ladies!!  Less is more!!

What to avoid:
  • Talc (cheap filler)
  • Titanium Dioxide (cellular oxidative stress)
  • Any ingredient that ends in -paraben
  • Bismuth Oxychloride (can cause skin irritation)
  • Silica
  • Barium Sulfide
  • Boron Nitride
  • Salicylate (plant allergens)
  • Artificial Fragrance
  • BHT (preservative)
  • Nanoparticles (ingredients that are "micronized" or "nano-" or "micronized" may contain nanoparticles)
  • Alumina

What is generally O.K for those of us with sensitivities:
  • Serecite Mica (base) (better if not 1st ingredient)
  • Rice Powder (filler)
  • Zinc Oxide (sunscreen)
  • Iron Oxides (color)

Make Your Own!

I even looked into making my own!  If I had more time on my hands, this would be a great way to customize my makeup for my coloring and skin sensitivities!  There are many recipies out there.  Two blog I follow offer some ( http://www.natural-organic-products-and-recipes.com/organicmakeuprecipes.html ), as well as the book, The Green Beauty Guide, by Julie Gabriel.  Just try to avoid ingredients on my "avoid" list and ALWAYS use cosmetic-grade minerals!

Where can I get the ingredients?

http://www.tkbtrading.com  (they even have kits!)
http://www.pvsoap.com/homepage.htm
Local soap shops


Application: For Best Results
  
  • Use a primer
  • Use a Kabuki brush to apply foundation
  • Do not overdo!  (A little goes a long way!)
  • Swirl, Tap, Buff (in a circular motion)
  • Repeat, if needed
  • Finish with a mineral veil (or rice powder)


  • We welcome any comments and additional tips!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment